Town & Country wants its customers to conserve!
To save off of your annual energy bills, follow the below warm weather, cold weather and year-round conservation tips!
Cooling Conservation Tips
- If you have a fireplace, keep the damper tightly closed when not in use. A glass fire screen can help minimize the loss of conditioned air.
- Keep air conditioner filters clean during cooling season to improve efficiency and the life of your air conditioner.
- Cook on the grill to keep cooking heat outside the home.
- By raising your thermostat setting from 72 to 78 degrees, you can save approximately $100 during the summer.
- Consider buying a whole house or attic fan. It draws in cool nighttime air through your open windows and forces out hot air that builds up during the day.
- Install reflective window coatings to reflect heat away from your home.
Heating Conservation Tips
- Make sure your ceiling has at least six inches of good thermal insulation.
- Replace any cracked glass in your windows.
- Keep ductwork in good repair with duct tape or duct insulation.
- Correct air leaks around windows, doors and electrical outlets.
- Remove air conditioning window units, or cover them well.
- Open curtains, blinds and drapes to let the sun warm your home during the day.
- Repair weather stripping and caulking.
Year-Round Conservation Tips
- You can save as much as 10 percent a year on your energy bills by simply turning your thermostat down during the heating season or up during the cooling season when you leave home for more than two hours.
- Schedule a tune-up. Not only will a tune-up ensure your heating equipment is working at its optimum efficiency, but it will also save you up to 5 percent on your annual energy bills.
- Don't leave the fridge door open! Every time you do, up to 30 percent of the air inside can escape. The same can be said for your oven.
- Repair and weatherize your storm windows.
- Close off rooms you don't use - and remember to shut the vents inside.
- Clean your dryer's filter after each use. A clean dryer filter will allow your dryer to work more efficiently. Dryer filters full of lint will cause your dryer to work harder and longer, using more energy.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated in order to keep the cool air or heat within the home for a longer period of time.